Thursday, August 4, 2011

NEW, New York City

I know it’s been a minute since I’ve written anything. To those of you who actually read this, I’m sorry. However I haven’t heard any requests to post anything new, so I don’t think anyone is too devastated that I haven’t posted in four months. 

I started this blog because I was about to embark on this brand new, big huge, journey. I thought, maybe someone out there will be interested enough to follow me? Well now that I’ve “arrived” at my “destination”, and have been living here for close to a year, it’s all starting to seem less and less exciting. I mean no insult to NYC. This place is still packed full of excitement, surprise, and new things daily. But everything is becoming so routine now. Anything that was new and shocking 9 months ago is just life now. 

I will do my best to recap what has happened the last four months, and try keep it somewhat interesting for you-
Two major things have happened since I’ve posted last. 
First, I have moved out of my apartment in Brooklyn and am now living in Queens. Living with 5 people who all had very different personalities and living styles was just not working out for me. Many times, I considered sticking it out to the end of the lease. But after too many sleepless nights due to completely different sleep schedules; and picking up after others one too many times, I realized it was time for me to make a move. I found my new roommates on Craigslist and loved them right away. The only thing that I didn’t love right off the bat (and still don’t love, though am starting to get used to) is that I now live close to a mile away from the subway. I was spoiled my first 9 months in Brooklyn living only 1/2 block away from the subway. I try to remind myself every time I make the “trek” that it’s good exercise. But somedays, I really miss the ease of being closer. I’m not looking forward to the winter- but I’m sure I’ll get used to that as well. 
I am in love with my neighborhood, my apartment, and my roommates. I live with two guys in their late 20s, early 30s, both optometrists. One has lived in the apartment for 8 years, the other for 5 years.

*To answer the most common questions: No they are not a couple, and are both straight. 

I have a good sized room, a CLOSET! (this is very exciting) and my own bathroom!!! <- I don’t think a girl could ask for anything better!

The other “big news” I should share is that I have a new job! For a girl who could absolutely care less about comic books, it was only a matter of time before I gave up on that place. It was hard for me to get out of bed everyday and drag myself there. I was really unhappy, and was barely scrapping by with the pay check. I knew I wanted to work in the health & fitness industry because on the tiny paycheck I was getting, and the high price of gym memberships in this city- I knew it would be the only way I could get into a gym (most gyms offer free memberships to their employees). I now work front desk for a private training gym, Brownings Fitness. The job is 100 times better than anything I could have asked for. Not only do I get to use the gym for free whenever I want, but I am also able to make use of the trainers as often as I would like, I get a discounted subway card, and health insurance. On top of all of that, we have a location in Southampton and I am asked to go out there for about two weeks at a time to "work". I use that word loosely because while I do work every single day I am out there, the shifts are short and the days either start or end with me on a beach. 
I am extremely grateful for the changes in my life the last 3+ months. I don't feel like I have been this happy in a really long time. I feel very fortunate to be living the life that I do. I also can't thank Brownings enough for introducing me to so many amazing people...

These new coworkers, and now friends are what get me though each day. I honestly don't think I could do it without them.

So I do believe a big thank you is in order for Craigslist for helping me find not only perfect roommates, but a wonderful job, that has led me to friends that I'm sure will be around for a long time...
I can't wait to see what the next four months have in store for me...
And I promise, I'll try not to leave you all hanging quite so long!

4 comments:

  1. I love it Abbey!! You look so so happy. I'm so happy for you! Your job, roomates, friends... everything sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep up your blog girl! I love hearing about everything Nd seeing your pictures. I can't to come visit!

    Love cmoney

    ReplyDelete
  3. So are you in queens or brooklyn then? I go to the city and queens at least once a week and I don't live far from southhampton! Hit me up! Love kellllly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelly I live in Queens (Woodside specifically) and will be in Southampton again in about 2 weeks for another 2 week stay... we MUST rendezvous!!

    ReplyDelete