Monday, March 29, 2010

Moving on, and moving up.

As many of you may already know, my time here in Portland has finally come to an end.

About a week ago, I put in my notice to the OPH and my final day of work will be April 8, 2010. After that I will be moving to Omaha, Nebraska.

I can already hear a lot of you saying “NEBRASKA!?!” But yes, it’s true.


My cousin Meg, who I am very close with is expecting a baby girl May 17th. I am going primarily to help her with the baby. She’s rather young, and in a matter of speaking, doing this on her own. I’ve always loved kids, and would love some at some point in my life- but until then, I’ll do my best to help her take care of hers :)

I’m very lucky that I know a few people on the way which will help break up the drive a bit. My first leg of the trip will start on April 20 and take me to Lehi, Utah where I’ll stop and stay with my good friend Alisa for a day or two. From there I’ll continue onto Greeley, Colorado to stay and visit with my old Cheer Ltd. friend, Brodie. I’ll stay with him through the weekend then continue on into Omaha on either that Sunday or Monday.

Once I arrive in Omaha my highest priorities will be helping Meg with whatever she needs me to do, and finding a job in the area. Considering that I’ve been waiting tables these last four and half years I’ve thought about finding another serving job since it can pay so well. But honestly, I’m making this move to better my life and move on to the next step- so that will only happen if after weeks of searching I cannot find work. It is my goal to find office work (I’ve never NOT worked in food), or hopefully, I can get enough photography work, that photography will FINALLY be my main source of income. I’ll definitely keep everyone posted on my job status when that time comes.

I am so extremely blessed to be part of such a loving family. I am so thankful that not only have my parents been kind enough to let me live with them these last five years, but now my aunt and uncle will be letting me live with them. I really cannot wait to live with them and see how the cornhuskers do things.


As new and exciting as all this will be... I won’t be able to get too comfortable.

A few of you may already know that I have had plans in the works for about six months now to move to New York City sometime in September.

I’m moving there to follow a long time dream of mine to become a full time fashion photographer. I plan on finding a working photographer who I can intern/assist with for an indefinite period of time. I have been told by many people that the best education a photographer can get is not through school, but through assisting a working professional. So- that’s exactly what I’ll be doing. I hope that after some time I’ll be able to branch off and focus completely on my own work. I do not have any particular photographers lined up as of yet, but again will keep you posted when that changes.


As cheesy as it is, I have to give a big thank you to Facebook for reuniting me with old friends and keeping me updated with them. It is through the glory of FB that I have kept in contact with my future NYC roommates. I plan to be living with two girls I cheered with in high school, Alaina and Emily! We’ll all three be moving there together at the same time learning and exploring the city together. From the conversations we’ve had thus far, I honestly don’t think I could ask for better roommates.

I know I’ll be sad to leave the life I’ll just have started in NE, but I know that I need to give NYC a chance right now and I could not be more excited to live that part of my life.


I’ll be updating every couple of weeks, so if any of the above sounds remotely interesting to you- check back to see what I’m up to!


Also- I’ll be having a going away party on Saturday April 17th. The location is TBA at this time. I’m hoping to find a bar that has a photo booth- any suggestions?

AND- I’ll be having a moving sale that same weekend! Please come, or spread the word!


Thank you for taking the time to read all of this, I know it was a long one, but really important to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment