Monday, July 19, 2010

Seven Pounds

I wish that I could hold onto the way I felt after watching "Seven Pounds" forever. If I could, I would have a much better outlook on life.

If you’ve never seen it, I think you should. It definitely goes on my list of movies I feel everyone should watch.

This man lost his wife. He was driving and checking his email at the same time. He drove into the opposite lane and caused 7 people to die, including his brand new fiance; the love of his life.

Because of this, he fell into a deep depression which encouraged him to steal his brothers identity. His brother was a IRS employee. He would use his stolen credentials to find people in need. Give a woman a lung. Give a man new eyes. Give a woman with a rare blood type, a new heart. He also gave a woman [and her two kids] who was constantly being beaten to a pulp by her boyfriend the home he and his former fiance had lived in so they could have a better life, without abuse. He never wanted anyone to know why he was doing the things that he did. Only one man knew his plan. His best friend knew exactly what he was to do with the remains of his body after he committed suicide so everything could be donated and put to the best of use.


This is the most generous and odd form of pay it forward I have ever encountered.


I feel that a lot of people (especially women) have issues with movies/Hollywood saying that they make everything look unreasonable. There is no frog that after a kiss from a princess will turn into a prince and sweep her off her feet so they can live happily ever after. That much is true, and I believe around the age of 13, I figured this out.

There are so many times where I find myself not being able to enjoy a movie because all I can think about is how unrealistic it is.

That was not the case with this movie. I don’t think that the majority of the population is anywhere near as generous as this character was- but deep down, I’d like to believe that it really could be true. It gave me hope, and inspiration. It also made me turn around and really take a look at myself and what I’m giving back to the world, or rather, the lack there of. As I stated above, I really wish I could hold onto this feeling for the rest of my life and always try to find a way to pay it forward each day no matter how small.

I don’t know how long this feeling will last. Maybe only a couple of hours? Maybe days, weeks, months? But I hope that no matter what, I can find it in myself to see the good in each person I meet.


If you have not yet seen “Seven Pounds”, please take my advise and do (if you are anything like me, I recommend watching it alone, or with people who won’t make fun of you for crying- I cried like a little baby). Keep an open mind.


Find the good in each person you meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment